“If you don’t use Facebook Messenger or texting, chances are you’re on WhatsApp. Created a few years back and bought out by Facebook for a whopping $19 billion in 2014, WhatsApp has taken the world by storm. But is it safe? And what are some of the problems with using this deceptively harmless app to communicate online?
In this article, we take a closer look at WhatsApp and compare it against one of the market-leading messaging apps, CoverMe.
What Is WhatsApp?
In case you’ve been living under a rock, here’s a quick introduction to WhatsApp. Like the name suggests, it’s a free app that’s cross-platform compatible. That means you can download it to your Windows PC, your Macbook, your iPhone and even your Android.
Using some fairly basic programming, the app lets you send messages, pictures, videos and even the odd voice recording over the internet to anyone else who has WhatsApp installed. That’s handy because it means you don’t have to use your mobile data to transmit a message, which can cost money if you aren’t on a monthly plan.
The funny thing is that iPhone users can actually do this already, sending iMessages to anyone with a compatible iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer. However, WhatsApp is useful for people who want to send a message across platforms to those who use Android.
But WhatsApp has some serious downsides. Owing to its popularity, for example, it’s a constant target of malware and viruses. In one instance, hackers were able to install spyware on users’ devices through the WhatsApp platform. And that’s not all – the app has loads of other security issues that CoverMe easily overcomes. We’ll compare them below.
CoverMe vs WhatsApp in Security
If you’re looking to get a secure messaging experience without having to worry about data leaks and cybersecurity threats, CoverMe is your answer. Here are three ways in which it is better than WhatsApp:
- End-to-end encryption. While both services offer this type of security feature – which is essential to prevent hackers from spying on the information that is emitted from your device – only CoverMe’s is activated by default. That means that, although WhatsApp offers encryption, you actually have to go into the settings and enable it. CoverMe, on the other hand, always uses encryption.
- Ownership Conflicts. WhatsApp, as mentioned above, is actually owned by Facebook. That means that all of the data transmitted through the service is shared with Facebook and used for advertising purposes. CoverMe, on the other hand, never shares your personal data with anyone. In fact, thanks to its anonymity protocols, it never even has access to your data!
- Hacking. WhatsApp is notoriously vulnerable to phishing hacks and other kinds of data breaches. Thanks to its enormous size and user base, it has thousands of active users who are out there to abuse others. But CoverMe has none of those issues – in fact, it has never been successfully hacked thanks to the cutting-edge security parameters embedded in every aspect of its software.
So, if you’re looking for safety and privacy, CoverMe is the only real option.
CoverMe vs WhatsApp for Privacy and Registration
This one’s simple. WhatsApp requires that you enter in your email or your phone number when registering to use the service. That’s private information that they store on their servers all around the world – servers that have been hacked in the past. And, more than simply being unsafe, WhatsApp actually has the ability to sell its vast collection of user data to anyone in the world. What’s stopping them?
Thankfully, CoverMe never asks for any personal information like a phone number or email when you register. It takes your personal security and privacy as its number one concern, meaning you can get access to all its great features simply by downloading the app.
CoverMe vs WhatsApp in Features
WhatsApp provides all the standard features you’d expect in a messaging app: file sharing, basic encryption (if you enable it!), and video messaging. But that’s about it. And then you have to put up with all the security risks and cons of using such an unsafe service.
That’s why you need CoverMe. Compared with WhatsApp, CoverMe is the best in the business for security and privacy. It’s a free downloadable app that uses military-grade security features like end-to-end encryption to keep you anonymous online and to prevent cyberstalkers from obtaining your personal details.
Its high-tech security enables you to send calls or messages anonymously by securely encrypting the outgoing data using VoIP. And thanks to its ultra-secure servers and scrambling protocols, your data can never be intercepted and unscrambled.
You can download it easily from the App Store for iPhones and Google Play for Androids.
CoverMe also has loads of other great features. It’s a private messaging app which lets you create alternative numbers that you can use to text and call people anonymously. And, it lets you create private groups with friends so you can share messages with them, send files, photos and videos, and even broadcast – all securely encrypted so no one else can get their hands on your personal details.
CoverMe also has loads of bonus security measures:
- Personal Vault. CoverMe’s personal vault can be enabled right from within the app. It allows you to store your files, messages, contacts, photos, and messages in a password-protected safety deposit box on your phone.
- Message Recall. Another handy feature of CoverMe is the ability to recall messages after you’ve sent them, ensuring that none of your private conversations accidentally end up with the wrong recipient!
- Self-destructing messages. CoverMe provides the option for self-destructing messages, so there’s no chance for your conversations to be redistributed and shared without your consent.
- Multiple Numbers. CoverMe lets you set up multiple phone numbers on the same device, so you can keep your work life and your personal life separate. It’s also great for signing up to different websites like Tinder, or you could even use it to sign up to WhatsApp while keeping your data safe!
- Decoy Password. CoverMe lets you set up decoy passwords that will alert you if someone is trying to break into your phone.
At the end of the day, there’s really no comparison at all. Download CoverMe today by clicking the link here.