In today’s fast-moving digital world, there is good reason to mask your phone number. As more and more of our interactions move online, from buying and selling to business deals and personal communication, and as our markets become globalized, we frequently have the need to speak to strangers or contact people we would rather not share our private mobile number with.
Hacking and cyberattacks are becoming increasingly common nowadays, and your details can easily be lifted from websites such as Facebook and Instagram even if your security settings are on the highest level. Maintaining your privacy and ensuring that your details aren’t leaked or sold online to a third party is the only way to prevent robocalls, annoying sales pitches, and intrusions of your online safety. Therefore, it’s important that whatever you’re doing online you do so with a masked phone number. But how do you know when to use one? When exactly is it a good idea to make a secret call or keep your phone number hidden? In this article, we run through some common situations when your personal details might be at risk and when you should hide your cell phone number.
7 other situations when you should mask your phone number
- On Craigslist: For some time now, Craigslist has been everyone’s favorite buying and selling marketplace. It’s great for finding anything from a new car to mobile phones, clothes, and even a new place to live. But it’s also unsafe, since you have to deal with strangers on a regular basis. Craigslist buyers and sellers often have to confront scammers and even criminals, so it’s important to remain anonymous. One way to do this is to avoid giving out your personal details and instead use a second phone number or a number masking app.
- Freelancing or Small Business Owners: Now more than ever, people are freelancing and running small side businesses online or out of their homes. It can be a great way to earn some extra cash, but it’s also easy to get your numbers mixed up and have business connections calling your personal number. To avoid this, you can list a masked number or an alternative one on your website to keep your personal details private and separate. That way, strangers aren’t able to track you down, and you won’t mistake calls coming through from friends and family as business connections.
- On eBay or Etsy: Whether you’re a frequent seller or just trying to get rid of the occasional item you no longer need, it’s great to be able to provide people with a way to contact you on eBay or Etsy. But it’s unsafe to list your own details, so make sure you are able to mask your number so that customers can’t get hold of your private information.
- Dating (Online or Offline): The dating world is a rapid one nowadays, especially with so many different apps out there to help you find a partner. All it takes is a swipe on your phone to hook up and start chatting with someone. However, do you really want all of those potential mystery dates to be able to have your personal number forever? It’s much better to get a second phone number to use when chatting, and this will also let you sign up to the different apps without registering your real number.
- Running Political or Charity Campaign: If your organization wants to raise money for charity or for a political candidate, you could decide to hold a phone-a-thon, where people can call in and donate. For that, you’ll need to get set up with an alternative phone number for people to call in to and which you can advertise to them.
- Using a Delivery Service: Who fancies a pizza? Whenever you’re thinking about ordering food or getting packages delivered, it’s a good idea to leave a number for the delivery driver to call in case they can’t find your house. But it’s unsafe to give out your real number to the delivery driver – after all, they already know where you live! It’s much safer to use a phone number masking app so that you can set up a temporary number for them to call.
- Job Hunting: We’ve all been there. You’ve submitted your CV to a bunch of different employers and now you are hoping for them to return your call. Fortunately, with a phone number masking service, you can give out a masked number so that you don’t confuse them with a friend or family member when they call you.
How to mask your phone number in these situations
There’s now a super simple, fast, and secure way to get a second phone number or to mask your personal number to keep you safe and organized. Just download the CoverMe app! CoverMe is a free app available from the App Store or from Google Play that lets you mask your phone number and create alternative ones for other people to call. As well masking your number, CoverMe also has a load of other great features:
- CoverMe uses high-tech, military-grade encryption to protect your calls and text messages, so you’ll be safe from spying and hacking and can keep your conversations totally private.
- CoverMe can also hide your outgoing call number, letting you call and text people anonymously.
- With CoverMe, you can create private groups with friends and then send them messages, photos and videos securely. You can even do broadcasting – all end-to-end encrypted.
- When you use CoverMe, any messages or calls you make will not show up on your phone bill. This stops companies from stealing your data or tracking who you have been calling, and it prevents anyone with whom you are living from going through your records.
- CoverMe has tons of other high-security features like a personal vault, self-destructing messages, and many more! So you’ll always be safe in the knowledge that your communication will be secure.
What’s left to wait for? Download the CoverMe app now!